Christ Church Church
The first Anglican Church in Rawdon was built in 1826 on what is now Forest Road. It served as a school, community venue, and church.
In 1829 Rev. Burton built a church on lot 16 of the 1st range.
In 1835 a log church was built in the village. It faced onto Church Street as did the Presbyterian Church. Thus the name of the street.
Rev. Burton’s report in 1838 states that the only church in mission is in the village of Rawdon. He estimates 200 people could be accommodated in the church. Rev. Burton describes the church as “not completed and still owing a few pounds”. The 24 seats in the church are free as they are not yet finished to a pew status.
Completion of the church was lap boarding for the outside was
The year from August 1837 to August 1838 church records for the entire district.
recorded 65 baptisms, 10 marriages, 4 burials.
The grave yard was neither fenced or consecrated but a petition was being circulated to raise funds and labour to enclose the graveyard.
The church had 2 ten acre lots in the village where the church, graveyard, parsonage erected. Four or five of the remaining acres were under cultivation, the was remainder cleared but growing up wild.
There were 4 poorly furnished Sunday schools under the direction of the minister. With the lack of books Catechism was the main instruction given to the children.
This church soon became too small for the ever increasing congregation and was replaced by this beautiful stone structure which still serves the community.
La première église anglicane de Rawdon a été construite en 1826 sur ce qui est aujourd’hui Forest Road. Elle a servi d’école, de lieu de rencontre communautaire et d’église.
En 1829, le révérend Burton a construit une église sur le lot 16 du 1er rang.
En 1835, une église en rondins fut construite dans le village. Elle donnait sur la rue Church, tout comme l’église presbytérienne. D’où le nom de la rue.
Le rapport du révérend Burton en 1838 indique que la seule église en mission se trouve dans le village de Rawdon. Il estime que 200 personnes pourraient être accueillies dans l’église. Le révérend Burton décrit l’église comme “non achevée et encore redevable de quelques livres”. Les 24 sièges de l’église sont libres car ils ne sont pas encore finis pour avoir le statut de banc.
L’année d’août 1837 à août 1838 les registres d’église pour tout le district.
On a enregistré 65 baptêmes, 10 mariages, 4 sépultures.
Le cimetière n’était ni clôturé ni consacré.
Cette église est rapidement devenue trop petite pour la congrégation toujours plus nombreuse et a été remplacée par cette belle structure en pierre qui sert toujours la communauté.
Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)
October 18 1849
Rev. Charles Rollit’s petition asking the Bishop to consecrate the burial ground at the wooden church in the village.
Octobre 18 1849
La pétition du révérend Charles Rollit demandant à l’évêque de consacrer le cimetière de l’église en bois du village.
The new church seen from the corner of Metcalfe and 3rd Ave.
The long shed was built to house the horse and buggies or sleighs while the owners were attending the service.
The building was demolished after it was severely damaged during a storm. Boards that were salvaged were sold to Haddad of the restaurant. He used the lumber to build a pool room on the back of his restaurant.
The original interior design.
In 1949, 75 years after the consecration of this church, the interior of the church was renovated.
The re-opening of the church was held on December 4, 1949.
Rev. Selwood Willis officiated and Rt. Rev. John Dixon performed the Acts of Dedication.
The service was followed with a reception in the parish hall.
This article appeared in the Montreal Gazette.
This photo taken after second renovation. reveals a centre aisle has been added. A second renovation changed the colours to a much softer, imitation stone finish. The latest renovation returns the interior to a resemblance of this earlier period with the yellow walls.
Rev. Davis (back row, second from left) officiating at the wedding of Annie Blagrave to Earl Williamson
Reverend Naylor was also a much respected minister. He served his community from 1912 – 1925
Reverend Naylor in his office in the presbytery on 3rd Avenue.
After WW II a porch was added to the church in commemoration of local men who served in both wars.