Early Land Grant

Aboriginals to Europeans

Krieghoff-Aboriginals-inSummer-Camp-1024x675
Cornelius Kreighoff’s Portrayal of an Aboriginal Summer Camp
La représentation d’un camp d’été autochtone par Cornelius Kreighoff

Official records indicate the Township of Rawdon as being over 200 years old, but the history of man in the area its story began quite a few years earlier.

The natives of the Algonquin Tribe had visited the area regularly establishing hunting and fishing camps from time untold.

They camped along the rivers and hunted in the forests where game abounded.

The name Oureau given to one of the rivers in Rawdon is said to be the Algonquin word for ‘far & deep.’ Another translation given for Oureau was ‘frog’.

In 1798, the settlement was officially named Rawdon by the Governor General, Sir Robert Prescott, to honour Sir Francis Rawdon, Lord Hastings.

Petitions were received for grants of land at Rawdon as early as 1793 and an order to survey the first two ranges into 200 acre lots was made in 1798.

It is unclear if the first four individuals who received grants of land in this new township in 1799 ever visited or settled there.

They were not listed as residents on the 1825 census.

Ephraim Sandford and James Sawyers, veterans of Wolf’s army, were both Loyalists from the refugee camp at William Henry (Sorel).

James Sawyers married Margaret Tucker, widow of John Tucker of the 53rd regiment who also received grants for her late husband’s loss of life in defence of the crown.

George McBeath, of l’Assomption, a native of Scotland, was given a grant of land recognizing his service as deputy for Leinster (Lower Canada) from 1792-96 and a founder of the North West Company.

In total, these four received 1900 acres in the 1st and 2nd Ranges of the Township.

In 1805, grants totalling 3000 acres on the 1st and 2nd Ranges were issued to Ralph Henry Bruyère and George Selby. Bruyère, a British military man, was married to Jessie Dunbars.

Prospective colonists applied for a Ticket of Location.

This document was issued subject to specific developments of the land.

A clearing made, buildings erected, and land tilled within a limited time was required before Letters of Patent (deeds) were issued.

Surveyors reported on the progress of the lots as they surveyed the ranges. While no payment was required for a Ticket of Location, the deeds were payable.

This left many colonists many years without title to their land due to lack of funds.

The earliest Tickets of Location were issued in 1821.

Captain Philemon Dugas and his family living on lot 28 of the 1st range was one of the original recipients.

After the defeat of Britain in the American Revolution many Americans, wishing to remain loyal to the Crown moved to the Canadas. They chose to settle along the new border.

Quickly available land in the area became scarce and the British government, desiring to make their presence in the Canadas more felt, encouraged the development of townships on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River.

Thus the Township of Rawdon, the 3rd township established on the north shore, was prepared for settlement. (Stoneham in the vicinity of Quebec City and Huddersfield in the Pontiac region were the 2 previous townships north of the St. Lawrence River.)

The 1st range, being the first ones surveyed, Americans being among the earliest settlers, were primarily located on these lower ranges.

The first range, as well as Philemon Dugas, and Rev. Burton were 3 settlers, Coiteux, Larivière, and Cloutier placed illegally by the Seigneury of St. Sulpice.

Wallace, Robinson, Byrne, Rea, McGie, were on the 2nd range. On the 3rd range Finlay, McLean, Montgomery, King,McCurdy, McCauly, Connolly, Eveleigh were found.

Les registres officiels indiquent que le canton de Rawdon a plus de 200 ans, mais l’histoire de l’homme dans la région son histoire a commencé quelques années plus tôt.

Les indigènes de la tribu algonquine avaient visité la région régulièrement en établissant des camps de chasse et de pêche depuis des temps indéterminés.


Ils campaient le long des rivières et chassaient dans les forêts où le gibier abondait.


Le nom Oureau donné à l’une des rivières de Rawdon serait le mot algonquin signifiant “loin et profond”.

Une autre traduction donnée pour Oureau était ” grenouille “.


En 1798, la colonie a été officiellement nommée Rawdon par le gouverneur général, Sir Robert Prescott, en l’honneur de Sir Francis Rawdon, Lord Hastings.


Des pétitions ont été reçues pour l’octroi de terres à Rawdon dès 1793 et un ordre d’arpentage des deux premiers rangs en lots de 200 acres a été émis en 1798.

On ne sait pas si les quatre premières personnes qui ont reçu des concessions de terres dans ce nouveau canton en 1799 s’y sont jamais rendues ou installées. Ils ne figurent pas comme résidents dans le recensement de 1825.

Ephraim Sandford et James Sawyers, vétérans de l’armée de Wolf, étaient tous deux des loyalistes du camp de réfugiés de William Henry (Sorel).
James Sawyers a épousé Margaret Tucker, veuve de John Tucker du 53e régiment qui a également reçu des subventions pour la perte de vie de son défunt mari dans la défense de la couronne.
George McBeath, de l’Assomption, originaire d’Écosse, a reçu une concession de terre en reconnaissance de ses services en tant que député de Leinster (Bas-Canada) de 1792 à 1996 et fondateur de la Compagnie du Nord-Ouest.

Au total, ces quatre personnes ont reçu 1900 acres dans les 1er et 2e rangs du canton.


En 1805, des concessions totalisant 3000 acres sur les 1er et 2e rangs ont été accordées à Ralph Henry Bruyère et George Selby. Bruyère, un militaire britannique, était marié à Jessie Dunbars.

Les futurs colons demandent un billet de location. Ce document était délivré sous réserve d’aménagements spécifiques du terrain.

Un défrichement effectué, des bâtiments érigés et des terres cultivées dans un délai limité étaient requis avant la délivrance des lettres patentes (actes de propriété).


Les arpenteurs rendaient compte de l’avancement des lots au fur et à mesure qu’ils arpentaient les rangs.

Si aucun paiement n’était exigé pour un billet de localisation, les actes de propriété étaient payants.


Cela a laissé de nombreux colons de nombreuses années sans titre de propriété pour leurs terres en raison du manque de fonds.


Les premiers billets de location ont été émis en 1821.

Le capitaine Philemon Dugas et sa famille vivant sur le lot 28 du 1er rang était l’un des premiers bénéficiaires.

Après la défaite de la Grande-Bretagne lors de la Révolution américaine, de nombreux Américains, souhaitant rester fidèles à la Couronne, se sont déplacés vers les Canadas.

Ils ont choisi de s’installer le long de la nouvelle frontière.

Rapidement, les terres disponibles dans la région sont devenues rares et le gouvernement britannique, désireux de faire sentir davantage sa présence dans les Canadas, a encouragé le développement de cantons sur la rive nord du fleuve Saint-Laurent.


C’est ainsi que le canton de Rawdon, le troisième canton établi sur la rive nord, a été préparé pour la colonisation. (Stoneham dans les environs de Québec et Huddersfield dans la région de Pontiac étaient les 2 cantons précédents au nord du fleuve Saint-Laurent).


Le 1er rang, étant les premiers arpentés, les Américains étant parmi les premiers colons, étaient principalement situés sur ces rangs inférieurs.


Le 1er rang, ainsi que Philemon Dugas, et le révérend Burton étaient 3 colons, Coiteux, Larivière, et Cloutier placés illégalement par la seigneurie de St-Sulpice.


Wallace, Robinson, Byrne, Rea, McGie, étaient sur le 2e rang. Sur le 3e rang se trouvaient Finlay, McLean, Montgomery, King,McCurdy, McCauly, Connolly, Eveleigh.