The Evan’s Immigration Guide 1832
To the Canadas
The population of 650,ooo was 80% French, 20% British.
The Anglican Church, the officially recognized church in the Canadas was administered by the Lord Bishop of Quebec and Upper Canada. It received 10,ooo acres of land per township.
The territory was also served by 6 Presbyterian and 10 Wesleyen Methodists.
The only taxes levied were 2% duty on imports and 5% on liquor.
Inn keepers, pedlars, and hawkers required a license.