The Five Post Offices in Rawdon

The First Post Office in Rawdon Village

The small building lodged between between the Hotel du Lac and Jolicoeur’s Restaurant was the original post office building in Rawdon. It was the first of these three structures built.  The horse and buggy in front of the building, a wagon beside, and the people in front testify to its being a gathering place not only to collect mail, but to catch up on the latest news and surely to exchange local gossip.

The hotel and restaurant were strategically built on both sides to take advantage of the patrons of the post office.

Although George Heriot had been Deputy Postmaster General for North America as early as 1867, post offices were not established in all settlements. L’Assomption was the nearest office for the earliest settlers of Rawdon. Although records at the NAC indicate there was a postal service in Rawdon prior to 1832 there are no official records.

The first postmaster on record for Rawdon was Robert Green (with no start date) was on record of having vacated the office April 5, 1832, giving way to Thomas Griffiths, at the time also being a land agent at Rawdon. (George Copping’s journals (1836 – 1845) make references to purchasing postage from Griffith.)

Corner of Queen Street and 4th Ave.

This building on the right was known as Nellie Clear’s place, the second home of the post office, the first home of the Royal Bank (1910).

Over time there have been here have been 4 additional post offices in Rawdon, 1 permanent, 3 summer seasons only, (June to September) in various settlements in Rawdon. The main one in the village of Rawdon is the only one still in existence. None of these post offices had an official building but were invariably in the private homes of post master, in a store, or in a restaurant.

The oldest of the satellite offices was established in Mount Loyal in an area of Irish Protestants settled in the northern outskirts of the township bordering on Chertsey. 
The first postmaster there was Thomas Swift who resigned in March 1873 after 3 months service. William Smiley replaced Swift in July 1873 and remained in office just short of 2 years. 
Despite the ominous start on December 1,1872, it proved to be the longest running and only full time one of these auxiliary offices, 21 years, before its closure in 1954.

Patrick Shevelin was postmaster for 11 years before leaving for the United States in 1892. His successor, William Smiley served 28 years until his death in 1920. The office remained in the hands of succeeding members of the Jones family until its closure 62 years later on January 1, 1954.

Mount Loyal Post Office

1872 12 01 – 1954 01 16

1872 12 01 – 1873 03 15  Thomas Swift                      resigned

1873 07 01 – 1875 04 17 William Smiley                           “

1875 05 01 – 1881 05 16 James Cannon                           “

1881 07 01 – 1892             Patrick Shevlin                        non resident

1892 09 01 – 1920 01 31   William Jones                                 death 

1920 03 25 – 1933 04 22  Wiliiam Jones                                      “

1892 01 16 – 1933 05 35   Mrs. Suzanne Jones               

 closed RMD R R #3

Gratten Lake Post Office

1932 – 1969

The longest service, 17 years, is held by post mistress, Edith Alsop.

1934 06 15 – 1935 07 17    Lamar Culver                                    res1gned

1935 09 09 – 1935 09 14    Gaston Cloutier                                  closed

1939 07 18 – 1940 08 05   Camille Ritchie   (1887 12 25)                        “

1944 07 05 – 1961 09 15  Edith Alsop (1885 11 23 1944 – – 1961 09 15   “

1962 06 15 – 1963 02 27  Andrew Lockhart

(1893 05 25) 1962 06 15 (acting) death

1963 06 27 – 1964 03 30 Frederick Doran Smith                   resigned

1964 07 02  Edith Alsop  (acting)                                            

1964 – 1965 06 15 Suzanne Bédard

The PO was in the general store and final closure was 1969 03 27

Morindale Post Office

Another seasonal office, the Morindale Post Office served the Masonville – Morindale area. Frank Smith was the postmaster for the 1 season of its existence in the summer of 1949.

Name of Military Date of Date of Date of Cause of Postmaster Status Birth Appt. Vacancy Vacancy

Anthony Gerard OAS – 1959 07 02 1960 02 25 resignation Mrs. Edna Snoden 1960 07 02 1961 03 16 resignation Mrs. Eileen Rothdram 1962 07 04 1964 07 04 resignation Mrs. Beartix Rivest 1965 07 02 1967 09 03 perm. closed

Lac Clair

The last of these seasonal postal services opened in 1959 in Lac Clair. It operated intermittently being permanently closed at the end of the summer of 1967. Eileen W. Rothdram and Beatrice Rivest were the post mistresses at Lake Clear.

L’Etoile du Nord Joliette 12 mars 1914