The St. Lawrence River Le fleuve Saint-Laurent

The following information was gleaned from descriptions from George Heriot’s “Travels in Canada” (1807), Don Snow’s “Death or Victory”, as well as various journals and publications written by those who had made the passage at approximately the same time.
N.B. Originally the area granted to the British,

(now Quebec and Ontario) was called the Canadas. Therefore the town of Quebec did not need the designation of city.

Les informations suivantes ont été glanées à partir de descriptions tirées du “Travels in Canada” (1807) de George Heriot, du livre “Death or Victory” de Don Snow, ainsi que de divers journaux et publications écrits par ceux qui avaient fait le passage à peu près à la même époque.
N.B. À l’origine, la région concédée aux Britanniques (aujourd’hui le Québec et l’Ontario) s’appelait les Canadas. Par conséquent, la ville de Québec n’avait pas besoin de la désignation de ville.

The Trajectory to the Mouth of the St. Lawrence River La trajectoire vers l’embouchure du fleuve Saint-Laurent

For several weeks ships battled wind and waves as they sailed across the Atlantic Ocean carrying their passengers ever closer to their new home.

Finally, making their way towards the mouth of the mighty St. Lawrence River the weary passengers caught the first sight of land since leaving their homes, friends and families to settle in a land with a lifestyle so very different from what they had left. 

Those with access to the deck area hung over the rails gazing hungrily at the rocky shores of Newfoundland. On approaching the Cape Breton coastline they were much gratified to see the gentler, greener, images of Cape Breton.

At this time both islands were still rather sparsely settled with only temporary shelters along the coast line to process their daily catch and shelter the fishermen during fishing season.

The cold Atlantic waters meeting the warmer waters of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland tended to create dense fog. The shift of the winds determined where and how thick a fog would have to be contended with. 

At times the fog was so dense ships would have to weigh anchor and wait. It could be days before the fog lifted and the ships could continue on. Having finally crossed the Atlantic and once again in sight of land the weary passengers were often greatly frustrated at this delay.

Weighing anchor was not just pitching an anchor overboard. In all it could take six hours to weigh or raise the anchor depending on the wind and the length of the cable required.

The procedure was a long, laborious task, taking four or more hours and involving several sailors manning the ropes and pulleys to ease the anchor down. 

Raising the anchor was the same procedure in reverse. 

If the wind was favourable the captain moved the ship to a vertical point over the anchor. Once the anchor was cleared of the water it had to be handled very carefully so as not to damage as it was lashed to the forecastle. The huge cable was stored on the deck below the water line.

The cable was made of soft manila rope. When it dried made an excellent mattress and senior officers used to this for their accommodation.

Fishing Boats From St. Pierre and Miquelon off the Coast of Newfoundland
Bateaux de pêche de Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon au large des côtes de Terre-Neuve

Pendant plusieurs semaines, les navires ont affronté le vent et les vagues en naviguant sur l’océan Atlantique, transportant leurs passagers toujours plus près de leur nouveau foyer.

Finalement, en se dirigeant vers l’embouchure du puissant fleuve Saint-Laurent, les passagers fatigués aperçoivent pour la première fois la terre depuis qu’ils ont quitté leurs maisons, leurs amis et leurs familles pour s’installer dans un pays au mode de vie si différent de celui qu’ils avaient quitté.

Ceux qui avaient accès au pont étaient suspendus aux rails et regardaient avec avidité les rivages rocheux de Terre-Neuve. En approchant des côtes du Cap-Breton, ils ont été très satisfaits de voir les images plus douces, plus vertes, du Cap-Breton.
À cette époque, les deux îles étaient encore assez peu peuplées, avec seulement des abris temporaires le long de la côte pour traiter leurs prises quotidiennes et abriter les pêcheurs pendant la saison de pêche.

Les eaux froides de l’Atlantique rencontrant les eaux plus chaudes des Grands Bancs de Terre-Neuve avaient tendance à créer un brouillard dense. La rotation des vents déterminait l’endroit et l’épaisseur du brouillard à affronter.

Parfois, le brouillard était si dense que les navires devaient lever l’ancre et attendre. Il peut se passer des jours avant que le brouillard ne se lève et que les navires puissent poursuivre leur route. Après avoir enfin traversé l’Atlantique et avoir retrouvé la vue de la terre, les passagers fatigués étaient souvent très frustrés par ce retard.

Pour jeter l’ancre, il ne suffit pas de jeter une ancre par-dessus bord. En tout, cela pouvait prendre six heures pour jeter ou lever l’ancre, en fonction du vent et de la longueur du câble nécessaire.

La procédure était une tâche longue et laborieuse, qui prenait quatre heures ou plus et impliquait plusieurs marins pour manier les cordages et les poulies afin de descendre l’ancre.

Lever l’ancre est la même procédure en sens inverse.

Si le vent était favorable, le capitaine déplaçait le navire jusqu’à un point vertical au-dessus de l’ancre. Une fois l’ancre sortie de l’eau, il fallait la manipuler avec précaution pour ne pas l’endommager lorsqu’elle était arrimée au gaillard d’avant. L’énorme câble était stocké sur le pont, sous la ligne de flottaison.

Le câble était fait de corde de manille souple. Lorsqu’il séchait, il faisait un excellent matelas et les officiers supérieurs l’utilisaient comme matelas.

Another distraction in this area was the sight of ships, some heading home, some going upriver as they were. On approach the ship’s flag was raised to identify its self. Often times captains would recognize an acquaintance’s flag and the ship would heave to near enough to shout greetings and exchange news. To people who had been at sea for one or two long months contact with other human beings was a great relief.

As the ship sailed towards the entrance to the relatively narrow 42 mile passage of Cabot Strait separating Newfoundland and the northern tip of Cape Breton. We can only imagine the excitement created by the sight of land and fellow humans in the many fishing boats that passed close enough to exchange greetings and news.   

At this time Newfoundland and Cape Breton were both sparsely populated. Passengers stood on the deck gazing hungrily at the sight of land. The rocky shores of Newfoundland’s rugged coastline contrasted so greatly with the gentler, greener, images of Cape Breton on the opposite shore.

After making its way slowly through the Cabot Strait the ship proceeded towards Cape Ray and Cape North where the Isle of St. Paul, actually a huge rock rising from the water, divided to form three conical peaks. The water on either side of the island was deep enough for ships to pass through but passage was difficult resulting in many shipwrecks in this area.

Remnants of these disasters, including human bones, was visible to those on board passing ships. Not a very inspiring site.

Continuing towards the mouth of the St Lawrence the monotony of life on board would occasionally be broken by the glimpse of a distant shore or even small ‘islands’ that were in reality huge rocks jutting out of the water. During the summer months the rocks were home to thousands of large white sea birds called gannets. Here they built their nests every spring and spent the summer fishing in the Gulf waters coming back to nest on the rocks at nightfall.

Smaller birds would entertain the passengers following ships crying for bits of food to be thrown away. Incoming ships would be poor pickings compared to those heading out but the birds were ever hopeful as they flew and squawked behind the ship.

Immigrants could not visualize the size of the  waterway they were entering. Rivers in the British Isles were merely creeks in comparison to the St. Lawrence River.

In places the gulf reached 42 miles across and it was a 180 mile sail on the river to their destination of Quebec. In ideal conditions the sail up the sail up the river took 8 days, the return trip was 5 days. However conditions were not always ideal.

Many challenges faced the captain if he wished to deliver his passengers safely. 

Unavoidable delays due to storms or calms were frequent. 

Wild, stormy, weather, with little or no warning swamped ships, sometimes blowing the ships back towards the gulf. 

Where the river was particularly treacherous special pilots had to be taken aboard to guide the ships through these channels.

When a pilot was not available the ship lay at anchor awaiting his arrival. (In rough weather pilots on ships sailing  back to Europe were sometimes obliged to stay on board until the ship docked in Europe where they boarded the first ship going back to Quebec.)

The Gulf of St. Lawrence, 90 miles (approx. 145 km.) across at the entrance, was almost like being on the ocean again, nothing but water in view.

Despite this seemingly open space, guiding the ship safely through the waves was a precise and frequently challenging operation.

Sailing through this seemingly unending expanse of water to gain entrance to the St. Lawrence River was almost beyond the scope of the imagination of  the ships passengers, yet there was still much more to come.

The Gulf of St. Lawrence, the largest estuary in the world, 2000 miles (3,218 km) to its source in Minnesota, is the greatest tidal water river in the world.

The seamen on these Atlantic crossings, many having made several trips, were well versed on the sights along the river. They were known to be very enthusiastic tour guides pointing out the landmarks as their vessel proceeded towards Quebec City.

Miramachi Settlement
Hervey Smyth
Hervey Smith was an aide de camp to James Wolfe. This sketch was drawn during Wolfe’s  approach  to Quebec City in view to taking the French “jewel” in their American crown for the British government. He was later knighted for his service during Wolfe’s campaign at Quebec City.
Colonie de Miramachi
Hervey Smyth était un aide de camp de James Wolfe. Ce croquis a été dessiné pendant l’approche de Wolfe de la ville de Québec en vue de prendre le ” bijou ” français de leur couronne américaine pour le gouvernement britannique.
Plus tard, Hervey Smyth sera fait chevalier pour son service militaire pendant la campagne de Wolfe pour la prise de Québec.


Miramachi, on the shore of what became New Brunswick on a clear day was visible from the deck of a passing boat. 

The Mi’kmaq nation had long been in the area previous to the arrival of the French. 

Although this might seem a very primitive settlement, when the earliest settlers were coming to the Rawdon Township, the Miramichi had already been settled by Europeans for 163 years.

From 1765 to 1800 many Scottish immigrants settled in Miramichi. Irish immigrants began arriving in 1815. 

Ship building and the export of lumber dated back to 1765. This industry suffered greatly when steel hulled ships replaced wooden hulls, as well, over cutting of the white pine greatly depleted the forests. The great bush fire of 1825 was another blow to this production of lumber in the area.

The Magdalen Islands on the port side were much more visible to passing ships. Although there was no farming done on this isolated cluster of small islands the dwellings of a few fishermen and their families were visible from the decks of the many vessels sailing through the Gulf of the St. Lawrence.

Occasionally the passengers would be able to catch a glimpse  of a distant shore or even small ‘islands’ that were in reality huge rocks jutting out of the water.  In early July these rocks would be home to literally thousands of large white sea birds called gannets. They built their nests here every spring and spent the summer fishing in the Gulf waters coming back to nest on the rocks at nightfall. 

As they sailed on the shores of the Gaspé Peninsula drew ever nearer  as they slipped past the south side of Anticosti Island which divided the entrance to the St Lawrence River. The south channel was used as it was wider and better sailing than the northern channel. 

Here it is about 90 miles (145k) from the tip of the Gaspé and the nearest shore of Anticosti island  which was uninhabited at this time. In winter the aboriginals hunted, none actually lived there.

 If the winds were favourable this trajectory of the Gulf of St Lawrence to the mouth of the river would take about twenty-four hours although bad weather could delay the progress for several days.

The Gaspé not only had fishermen settled along its banks but there were shipyards scattered along the coast, as well. In 1807 George Heriot reported 300 families, mostly Roman Catholic, settled in this area. 

Continuing on, the shores of the Gaspé Peninsula drew ever nearer as ships slipped past the south side of Anticosti Island which divided the entrance to the St Lawrence River. The south channel was was wider and judged better sailing than the northern channel.

If the winds were favourable this trajectory of the Gulf of St Lawrence to the mouth of the river would take about twenty four hours. Bad weather could delay the progress for days.


Gaspé Bay
Hervey Smyth
This sketch was also drawn from on board ship during  Wolfe’s approach to Quebec City. Baie de Gaspé
Ce croquis a également été dessiné à bord du navire pendant l’approche de Wolfe à Québec.

Gaspé Bay was known as the cradle of New France.

It was here in 1534 that Jacques Cartier, having put ashore due to stormy weather, raised a cross and claimed the land for France. Apparently, there were no negotiations with the inhabitants.

Two hundred years later this area was still only sparsely settled. In his 1807 publication, George Heriot reported 300 families, mostly Roman Catholics, settled in this area.

Most were fishermen living along the banks of the river. 

In 1758 General Wolfe had raided the area in an attempt to demoralize the people into surrendering to the British. 

In this he was not successful, however the Treaty of Paris in 1763 saw it under British rule.

In the interest of laying claim to their new land, the British were eager to see it settled by their own citizens.

British officers and soldiers were given grants of land and encouraged to establish in the Gaspé.

The newcomers soon had an important fishing industry, mostly cod but salmon and herring, as well. 

Ten years later, in 1773, there was a thriving ship building industry as well as an important lumber export business in the Gaspé. 

The year 1784 saw the arrival of several United Empire Loyalists to the area.

In 1804 the first post office was opened in Gaspé.

Although Canadians have a tendency not to boast of the greatest, the largest, etc., the Gulf and the St.Lawrence River both fall into this category. Saint Lawrence River drains 400,000 mi.², 350,000 ft.³ of water per second into the North Atlantic Ocean.

This significant discharge renders navigation on the river very difficult.

Shallows, reefs, islands, complicate navigation in the St. Lawrence.

Easterly winds, although helpful, usually bring in rain and fog to further complicate the navigation.

Great gales rush in buffeting ships and then leave just as suddenly leaving behind the becalmed sailboats.

As a ship sailed up the St. Lawrence the effect of the tide became more pronounced.

Ships entering the had St. Lawrence River, still had another 400 miles to go before arriving at Quebec City.

The trip up the the river could take as much as two weeks. 

The current often negated the wind power  and sudden storms and violent wind squalls tended to cause frequent delays.

At times sail boats were completely stilled, at other times the wind was so ferocious they had to weigh anchor to avoid being thrust upon the rocks or islands that dotted the river. 

In certain places, due to narrow passages, hidden rocks, fickle shoals, or devilish currents, captains of vessels going upstream were required to take on special pilots to guide them through the water.


Roch Percé
Hervey Smyth

This is the earliest known sketch of Perce Roch. The sailing ship is the Vangard under the command of Robert Swanton. The Vanguard mounted 64 guns and was instrumental in raising the siege of Quebec in 1760.
Il s’agit de la plus ancienne esquisse connue du Rocher Percé. Le voilier est le Vangard sous le commandement de Robert Swanton. Le Vanguard montait 64 canons et a contribué à lever le siège de Québec en 1760.


Ships sailed near enough to this already well known phenomenon for passengers to catch a good view of Percé Rock which jutted out into the Gulf.

Its majestic appearance with the intriguing holes was the subject of many articles on travel as well as seen in paintings and drawings.

In 1607 Samuel de Champlain, the first known European to see this rock, had described it in his log a hundred years earlier. 

As the river gradually narrowed the passengers could enjoy the scenery on the shore  from both sides of the ship. And what a view it was!

Thick, green, forests of the mountains coming down to meet the river as it flowed past, sparkling and dancing on sunny days, or dark and threatening in foul weather.

There was little or no settlement on the banks of the lower St. Lawrence River but as the river continued to narrow and the Saguenay River came rushing into it, small settlements came into view.

On the north shore the settlements were mostly to do with the fur trade or fishing.

The south shore was spotted with farms running back from the river.

There were also a few small shipyards along both coasts. Tadoussac was already established as a harbour for ships and port of entry for the Saguenay River.

At LaMalbaie there was another kind of settlement.

Every spring fishermen trapped porpoises to extract the oil that was in great demand. This was a very lucrative business.

One could get as much as a barrel of oil from even the smallest porpoise.

They also caught seals and sea cows for the fisheries.

Rough buildings to house the land operations and work crew of this industry were to be seen scattered around the bay.

Porpoises were still plentiful in 1811 and they would follow the ships on the river, racing and playing around the vessels as they proceeded upstream much to the delight of passengers, especially the younger members.

Sometimes the porpoises travelled as far as Ile d’Orleans seeming to welcome the new comers.

Some forty miles farther upstream Les Eboulements came into view. These huge masses of rock came jutting out into the sea several hundred feet in height seeming to stand guard over the river. 

On the south shore the town of Kamarouska nestled on the riverbank. Farm houses, side by side, faced onto the river which was still the main means of travel for the settlers.

This little town with its white washed buildings contrasting with the green of the fields and the dark forested mountains rising behind, was the first promise of real civilization.

In the village houses and commercial buildings clustered around the church with its white spire pointing skyward.

From here on, the south shore was  completely settled by farms that grew ever more fertile as the river advanced to the interior.

These farms, settled under the French Regime in the Seigniorial system, were long and narrow, the fields stretching back from the river.

The settlers were mostly of French descent.

In early the summer season the many sailing vessels heading upstream passed along fields lush with green grass and grain, with cattle grazing contentedly in the pastures.

A scarce twenty miles further Ile aux Oies lies off the south shore, a little island about seven miles long and three miles at its widest.

As the name indicates, this was a nesting place for wild geese whose activities could be seen from on board ship.

The sight of thousands of these magnificent white birds flying and honking as they went about their business was a very impressive sight indeed.

Here there was a settlement of about thirty families.

They lived off the land, logging, farming, and fishing. The buildings and fields of this island were visible from the ship’s deck.

The St. Lawrence River gradually loses its salt as the river penetrates further inland the water becomes fresh.

 La Traverse, a little further upstream, was considered the most hazardous part of the journey.

A local pilot had to be taken on to guide the ship through this channel. This could delay the arrival at Quebec City for a few hours or even a day, depending on the availability of a pilot.

Immediately after Ile aux Oies, Ile d’Orléans came into view. The river having narrowed considerably, the island almost blocks the river on the north channel.

Only very small vessels could use this north channel. The usual practice was to use  the south channel.

As they eased their way through this passage, there was a close view of  island life. 

Farms on Ile d’Orleans
Thomas Davies

Fermes sur l’île d’Orléans
 Ces maisons semblent être faites de pierre, bien que la majorité des maisons de l’île aient été construites en bois. 

Typical of the French settlements, the farms were on narrow lots with houses sitting relatively to the other facing along the waterfront.

These houses appear to be made of stone although the majority of homes on the island were constructed of wood. 

While Ile d’Orleans was known as the breadbasket of the Quebec City area, surrounded by water, they also profited from the river’s bounty. Eel traps are seen set out along the shore.

Ile d’Orleans presented a picturesque view rising from steep banks in some places, a more gradual ascent in others. It was divided into five parishes, St. Pierre and Ste. Famille on the north, St. Francis, St. John, and St. Laurent on the south. About 2000 people lived on the island.

Ile d’Orléans  was one of the earliest  and most densely populated settlements in New France. It was also the most fertile area providing food for Quebec City and the surrounding area. Most of the farmers on the island were descendants of the original owners. Today this is still true.

Farmers brought their produce the mile across the river on barge or by boat. During the winter months when the river was frozen they crossed on what was called the pont. (Upper right)

A few years earlier, for two consecutive years, a plague of grasshoppers had ravished the island but by 1811 it was once again thriving and supplying the Quebec City region with its produce.

The new arrivals had sailed some 350 miles (approx. 965.4k) from the mouth of the river into the Quebec harbour. The first view of their destination city from on board ship would have appeared much like this sketch by George Heriot. 

Une autre distraction dans cette zone était la vue des navires, certains rentrant chez eux, d’autres remontant le fleuve. À l’approche, le drapeau du navire était hissé pour s’identifier. Souvent, les capitaines reconnaissaient le drapeau d’une connaissance et le navire se rapprochait suffisamment pour pouvoir crier des salutations et échanger des nouvelles. Pour les personnes qui avaient passé un ou deux longs mois en mer, le contact avec d’autres êtres humains était un grand soulagement.

Alors que le navire naviguait vers l’entrée du passage relativement étroit de 42 miles du détroit de Cabot séparant Terre-Neuve et la pointe nord du Cap-Breton. Nous ne pouvons qu’imaginer l’excitation créée par la vue de la terre et des autres humains dans les nombreux bateaux de pêche qui sont passés assez près pour échanger des salutations et des nouvelles.

À cette époque, Terre-Neuve et le Cap-Breton étaient tous deux peu peuplés. Les passagers se tenaient sur le pont, regardant avec avidité la vue de la terre. Les rivages rocheux de la côte accidentée de Terre-Neuve contrastaient tellement avec les images plus douces et plus vertes du Cap-Breton sur la rive opposée.

Après avoir traversé lentement le détroit de Cabot, le navire s’est dirigé vers le cap Ray et le cap Nord, où l’île de Saint-Paul, en fait un énorme rocher émergeant de l’eau, se divise pour former trois pics coniques. L’eau de chaque côté de l’île était suffisamment profonde pour que les navires puissent passer, mais le passage était difficile, ce qui a entraîné de nombreux naufrages dans cette zone.

Les vestiges de ces catastrophes, y compris des ossements humains, étaient visibles pour ceux qui se trouvaient à bord des navires de passage. Ce n’est pas un site très inspirant.

En continuant vers l’embouchure du Saint-Laurent, la monotonie de la vie à bord était parfois rompue par l’aperçu d’un rivage lointain ou même de petites “îles” qui étaient en réalité d’énormes rochers émergeant de l’eau. Pendant les mois d’été, ces rochers abritent des milliers de grands oiseaux de mer blancs appelés fous de Bassan. Ils y construisent leurs nids chaque printemps et passent l’été à pêcher dans les eaux du Golfe, revenant nicher sur les rochers à la tombée de la nuit.

Des oiseaux plus petits divertissaient les passagers qui suivaient les navires en réclamant des morceaux de nourriture à jeter. Les navires qui arrivaient n’étaient pas très riches en nourriture par rapport à ceux qui partaient, mais les oiseaux gardaient espoir en volant et en poussant des cris derrière le navire.

Les immigrants ne pouvaient pas se rendre compte de la taille de la voie navigable dans laquelle ils s’engageaient. Les rivières des îles britanniques n’étaient que des ruisseaux en comparaison avec le fleuve Saint-Laurent.
Par endroits, le golfe atteignait 42 milles de diamètre et il fallait parcourir 180 milles sur le fleuve pour atteindre leur destination, Québec. Dans des conditions idéales, la remontée du fleuve prenait 8 jours et le retour 5 jours. Cependant, les conditions n’étaient pas toujours idéales.

Le capitaine devait relever de nombreux défis s’il souhaitait délivrer ses passagers en toute sécurité.
Les retards inévitables dus aux tempêtes ou aux calmes étaient fréquents.

Un temps sauvage, orageux, avec peu ou pas d’avertissement, submergeait les navires, les repoussant parfois vers le golfe.

Lorsque la rivière était particulièrement dangereuse, des pilotes spéciaux devaient être embarqués pour guider les navires dans ces chenaux.

Si un pilote n’était pas disponible, le navire restait à l’ancre en attendant son arrivée.

Par gros temps, les pilotes des navires qui rentraient en Europe étaient parfois obligés de rester à bord jusqu’à ce que le navire accoste en Europe, où ils embarquaient sur le premier navire qui rentrait au Québec.

Le golfe du Saint-Laurent, d’une largeur de 90 milles (environ 145 km) à l’entrée, était presque comme si on était de nouveau sur l’océan, avec rien d’autre que de l’eau en vue.

Malgré cet espace apparemment ouvert, guider le navire en toute sécurité à travers les vagues était une opération précise et souvent difficile.

Naviguer à travers cette étendue d’eau apparemment sans fin pour accéder au fleuve Saint-Laurent dépassait presque les limites de l’imagination des passagers du navire, mais il y avait encore beaucoup plus à venir.

Le golfe du Saint-Laurent, le plus grand estuaire du monde, qui s’étend sur 2000 miles (3218 km) jusqu’à sa source au Minnesota, est le plus grand fleuve à marée du monde.

Les marins de ces traversées de l’Atlantique, dont beaucoup avaient fait plusieurs voyages, connaissaient bien les curiosités du fleuve. Ils étaient connus pour être des guides touristiques très enthousiastes, indiquant les points de repère à mesure que leur navire se dirigeait vers la ville de Québec.

Miramachi,(en haut, à gauche) sur le rivage de ce qui est devenu le Nouveau-Brunswick, par temps clair, était visible du pont d’un bateau qui passait.

La nation mi’kmaq était présente dans la région depuis longtemps avant l’arrivée des Français.


Bien que cela puisse sembler un établissement très primitif, lorsque les premiers colons sont arrivés dans le canton de Rawdon, la Miramichi était déjà habitée par les Européens depuis 163 ans.

De 1765 à 1800, de nombreux immigrants écossais se sont installés à Miramichi. Les immigrants irlandais ont commencé à arriver en 1815.

La construction navale et l’exportation de bois remontent à 1765. Cette industrie a beaucoup souffert lorsque les navires à coque d’acier ont remplacé les coques de bois. De plus, la coupe excessive du pin blanc a grandement appauvri les forêts. Le grand feu de brousse de 1825 a porté un autre coup à la production de bois dans la région.

Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine, sur le côté bâbord, étaient beaucoup plus visibles pour les navires de passage. Bien qu’aucune activité agricole ne soit pratiquée sur ce groupe de petites îles isolées, les habitations de quelques pêcheurs et de leurs familles étaient visibles du pont des nombreux navires naviguant dans le golfe du Saint-Laurent.

De temps en temps, les passagers pouvaient apercevoir un rivage lointain ou même de petites “îles” qui étaient en réalité d’énormes rochers sortant de l’eau. Au début du mois de juillet, ces rochers abritent littéralement des milliers de grands oiseaux de mer blancs appelés fous de Bassan. Ils y construisent leurs nids chaque printemps et passent l’été à pêcher dans les eaux du Golfe, revenant nicher sur les rochers à la nuit tombée.

Au fur et à mesure qu’ils naviguaient, les côtes de la péninsule gaspésienne se rapprochaient de plus en plus et ils passaient devant le côté sud de l’île d’Anticosti qui divisait l’entrée du fleuve Saint-Laurent. Le chenal sud est utilisé car il est plus large et permet une meilleure navigation que le chenal nord.

Ici, on se trouve à environ 90 milles (145k) de la pointe de la Gaspésie et de la rive la plus proche de l’île d’Anticosti qui était inhabitée à cette époque. En hiver, les autochtones chassaient, aucun n’y vivait réellement.

Si les vents étaient favorables, cette trajectoire du golfe du Saint-Laurent jusqu’à l’embouchure du fleuve prenait environ vingt-quatre heures, mais le mauvais temps pouvait retarder la progression de plusieurs jours.

La Gaspésie n’avait pas seulement des pêcheurs installés le long de ses rives, mais il y avait aussi des chantiers navals dispersés le long de la côte. En 1807, George Heriot rapporte que 300 familles, pour la plupart catholiques, se sont établies dans cette région.

En continuant, les rives de la péninsule gaspésienne se rapprochent de plus en plus alors que les navires passent le côté sud de l’île d’Anticosti qui divise l’entrée du fleuve Saint-Laurent. Le chenal sud était plus large et jugé plus propice à la navigation que le chenal nord.

Si les vents étaient favorables, cette trajectoire du golfe du Saint-Laurent jusqu’à l’embouchure du fleuve prendrait environ vingt-quatre heures. Le mauvais temps pouvait retarder la progression de plusieurs jours.

La baie de Gaspé était connue comme le berceau de la Nouvelle-France. C’est ici qu’en 1534, Jacques Cartier, ayant accosté en raison d’une tempête, a élevé une croix et revendiqué le territoire pour la France. Apparemment, il n’y a eu aucune négociation avec les habitants.

Deux cents ans plus tard, cette région n’était encore que faiblement peuplée. Dans sa publication de 1807, George Heriot fait état de 300 familles, pour la plupart catholiques romaines, installées dans cette région.

La plupart étaient des pêcheurs vivant sur les rives de la rivière.

En 1758, le général Wolfe avait fait une incursion dans la région pour tenter de démoraliser la population afin qu’elle se rende aux Britanniques.

Il n’y est pas parvenu, mais le traité de Paris de 1763 a placé la région sous la domination britannique.

Afin de revendiquer leur nouveau territoire, les Britanniques sont impatients de le voir colonisé par leurs propres citoyens.

Les officiers et les soldats britanniques reçoivent des concessions de terres et sont encouragés à s’établir en Gaspésie.

Les nouveaux arrivants ont rapidement mis en place une importante industrie de la pêche, principalement de la morue, mais aussi du saumon et du hareng.

Dix ans plus tard, en 1773, il y avait une industrie florissante de construction navale ainsi qu’une importante activité d’exportation de bois en Gaspésie.

L’année 1784 voit l’arrivée de plusieurs loyalistes de l’Empire-Uni dans la région.

En 1804, le premier bureau de poste est ouvert à Gaspé.

Bien que les Canadiens aient tendance à ne pas se vanter de ce qui est le plus grand, le plus gros, etc., le Golfe et le fleuve Saint-Laurent entrent tous deux dans cette catégorie.


Le fleuve Saint-Laurent déverse 400 000 mi.², 350 000 pi.³ d’eau par seconde dans l’océan Atlantique Nord.


Ce débit important rend la navigation sur le fleuve très difficile. Les hauts-fonds, les récifs, les îles, compliquent la navigation dans le Saint-Laurent.


Les vents d’est, bien qu’utiles, apportent généralement de la pluie et du brouillard qui compliquent encore la navigation.


Les grands coups de vent se précipitent pour secouer les navires, puis repartent tout aussi soudainement, laissant derrière eux les voiliers immobilisés.


À mesure qu’un navire remonte le Saint-Laurent, l’effet de la marée devient plus prononcé.

Les navires qui entrent dans le fleuve Saint-Laurent ont encore 400 milles à parcourir avant d’arriver à Québec. La remontée du fleuve pouvait prendre jusqu’à deux semaines.


Le courant annule souvent la puissance du vent et les tempêtes soudaines et les violents grains de vent ont tendance à causer de fréquents retards.


Parfois, les voiliers étaient complètement immobilisés, d’autres fois, le vent était si féroce qu’ils devaient lever l’ancre pour éviter d’être projetés sur les rochers ou les îles qui parsemaient le fleuve.

À certains endroits, en raison de passages étroits, de rochers cachés, de hauts-fonds capricieux ou de courants diaboliques, les capitaines des navires remontant le fleuve devaient prendre des pilotes spéciaux pour les guider sur l’eau.

(À droit) Esquisse du Rocher Percé Il s’agit de la plus ancienne esquisse connue du Rocher Percé. Le voilier est le Vangard sous le commandement de Robert Swanton.

Le Vanguard montait 64 canons et a contribué à lever le siège de Québec en 1760.

Les navires ont navigué assez près de ce phénomène déjà bien connu pour que les passagers puissent avoir une bonne vue du rocher Percé qui s’avance dans le golfe.

Son aspect majestueux et ses trous intrigants ont fait l’objet de nombreux articles de voyage et ont été représentés dans des peintures et des dessins.

En 1607, Samuel de Champlain, le premier Européen connu à voir ce rocher, l’avait décrit dans son journal de bord cent ans plus tôt. 

Le fleuve se rétrécissant progressivement, les passagers pouvaient admirer le paysage de la rive des deux côtés du navire. Et quelle vue c’était !

Les épaisses forêts vertes des montagnes qui descendent à la rencontre du fleuve, scintillant et dansant par temps ensoleillé, ou sombre et menaçant par mauvais temps.

Il n’y avait que peu ou pas d’établissements sur les rives du bas Saint-Laurent, mais à mesure que le fleuve se rétrécissait et que la rivière Saguenay s’y engouffrait, de petits établissements sont apparus.

Sur la rive nord, les établissements étaient principalement liés au commerce des fourrures ou à la pêche.

Sur la rive sud, des fermes s’étendaient le long de la rivière. Il y avait aussi quelques petits chantiers navals le long des deux côtes.

Tadoussac était déjà établi comme un port pour les navires et un port d’entrée pour la rivière Saguenay.

À LaMalbaie, il y avait un autre type d’établissement.

Chaque printemps, des pêcheurs capturaient des marsouins pour en extraire l’huile qui était très recherchée.

C’était un commerce très lucratif. On pouvait obtenir jusqu’à un baril d’huile du plus petit marsouin, mais on capturait aussi des phoques et des vaches de mer pour la pêche.

Des bâtiments rudimentaires destinés à abriter les opérations terrestres et l’équipe de travail de cette industrie sont disséminés dans la baie.

Les marsouins étaient encore nombreux en 1811 et suivaient les bateaux sur le fleuve, faisant la course et jouant autour des navires pendant qu’ils remontaient le courant, au grand plaisir des passagers, surtout des plus jeunes.

Parfois, les marsouins se rendent jusqu’à l’île d’Orléans, semblant accueillir les nouveaux arrivants.

Une quarantaine de miles plus loin en amont, les Eboulements sont apparus.

Ces énormes masses rocheuses s’avançaient dans la mer à plusieurs centaines de pieds de hauteur, semblant monter la garde au-dessus de la rivière. 

Sur la rive sud, la ville de Kamarouska est nichée au bord de la rivière.

Des maisons de ferme, côte à côte, donnaient sur le fleuve qui était encore le principal moyen de transport des colons.

Cette petite ville, avec ses bâtiments blanchis à la chaux contrastant avec le vert des champs et les montagnes aux forêts sombres qui s’élèvent derrière, était la première promesse d’une véritable civilisation.

Dans le village, les maisons et les bâtiments commerciaux s’agglutinaient autour de l’église dont la flèche blanche pointait vers le ciel.

À partir de là, la rive sud est entièrement colonisée par des fermes qui deviennent de plus en plus fertiles à mesure que le fleuve s’avance vers l’intérieur.

Ces fermes, établies sous le Régime français dans le système seigneurial, sont longues et étroites, les champs s’étendant en arrière du fleuve. Les colons sont encore majoritairement d’origine française.

Au début de l’été, les nombreux voiliers qui remontaient le fleuve passaient le long de champs couverts d’herbe verte et de céréales, où le bétail paissait tranquillement dans les pâturages.

Une vingtaine de milles plus loin, sur la rive sud, se trouve l’île aux Oies, une petite île d’environ sept milles de long et trois milles dans sa plus grande largeur.

Comme son nom l’indique, c’était un lieu de nidification pour les oies sauvages dont on pouvait observer les activités depuis le bateau.

Le spectacle de milliers de ces magnifiques oiseaux blancs qui volaient et criant en vaquant à leurs occupations était en effet très impressionnant.

Il y avait ici une colonie d’environ trente familles. Elles vivaient de la terre, de l’exploitation forestière, de l’agriculture et de la pêche. Les bâtiments et les champs de cette île étaient visibles depuis le pont du navire.

Le fleuve Saint-Laurent perd progressivement son sel à mesure que le fleuve pénètre plus loin dans les terres, l’eau devient douce.

 La Traverse, un peu plus en amont, était considérée comme la partie la plus dangereuse du voyage. Il fallait faire appel à un pilote local pour guider le navire dans ce chenal. Cela pouvait retarder l’arrivée à Québec de quelques heures ou même d’une journée, selon la disponibilité d’un pilote.

Immédiatement après l’île aux Oies, l’île d’Orléans est en vue. Le fleuve s’étant considérablement rétréci, l’île bloque presque le fleuve sur le chenal nord.

Seuls les très petits navires pouvaient utiliser ce canal nord. Les plus gros navires devaient utiliser le canal sud. En se frayant un chemin dans ce passage, ils ont pu voir de près la vie sur l’île. 

L’île d’Orléans présentait une vue pittoresque, s’élevant de berges abruptes à certains endroits, d’une ascension plus graduelle à d’autres. Elle était divisée en cinq paroisses, Saint-Pierre et Sainte-Famille au nord, Saint-François, Saint-Jean et Saint-Laurent au sud. Environ 2000 personnes vivaient sur l’île.

Typiques des colonies françaises, les fermes étaient situées sur des lots étroits avec des maisons situées les unes par rapport aux autres et faisant face au bord de l’eau.

L’île d’Orléans était l’un des premiers établissements de la Nouvelle-France et l’un des plus densément peuplés.

C’était également la région la plus fertile qui fournissait de la nourriture à la ville de Québec et à ses environs.

La plupart des agriculteurs de l’île étaient des descendants des premiers propriétaires. C’est encore le cas aujourd’hui.

Les agriculteurs emportaient leurs produits sur un kilomètre de l’autre côté du fleuve, sur des barges ou en bateau.

La traversée du Pont
Crossing the Pont

Pendant les mois d’hiver, lorsque la rivière était gelée, ils traversaient sur ce qu’on appelait le pont.

Les nouveaux arrivants a parcouru quelque 350 milles (environ 965,4 km) depuis l’embouchure du fleuve jusqu’au port de Québec. La première vue de leur ville de destination depuis le navire devait ressembler à ce croquis de George Heriot. 

Quebec City La Ville de Québec